Monday, March 4, 2013

TALES FROM THE WHITE BUTTERFLY HUNTER

Aside from aphids, white cabbage butterflies have to be a gardener's worst nightmare in my opinion!  They nibble away at brassicas in particular which can impact on the plants ability to grow and of course, they lay their eggs which eventually turn into catepillars which can devour leaves right before your eyes and kill plants!  Because we are severely lacking in rain: white butterflies an almost endemic in my vegetable garden!

Derris dust is my traditional weapon for warding off these little leaf-munchers, but it is not deterring them at all!  Ever keen to operate the organic approach in my garden - I've come up with a plan and am putting my old squash racket to good use.  I swing it at the butterflies as they enter my garden with broccoli and cabbage plants in sight...

I sincerely hope my neighbours don't see me running about like a mad-person chasing after the butterflies given that I don't always succeed in my attempts to hunt them down.  This method is definitely proving to be the most successful way to combat them!  I definitely don't have too many issues with catepillars as the poor old butterflies don't have time to lay their eggs with me chasing behind them to squish them with my racket.  However, my poor broccoli and cabbage plants in particular, look like they have been hit with bullets! 

I would be interested in hearing from others regarding their techniques for keeping on top of white butterflies!
My weapon of choice for hunting white butterflies...

4 comments:

  1. I use floating row cover (AKA Garden fabric) to keep the little buggers from laying eggs on my brassicas. I keep it on until the plants are big and strong, then they stand a better chance of surviving damage. It works every time. Here's my blog post about it:

    http://gardenerd.com/cabbage-moths-pretty-but-dastardly/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have to give that a try. I use a similar thing on our berries, but we have gale-force winds here and pretty much anything like this is blown away (despite being tied down!) But I'll give it a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try pintrest, there a ton of great pest control solutions that are organic. This is only my third year gardening, dont think i will win any contest, just want to grow enough to feed a family of 8 and have enough left to share. God bless!

    Michele from Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! I will have to have a good look! We are officially in drought now...first time in 70 years! So I haven't had a chance to look on pinterest as I've been using all my spare time trying to collect water off my roof and grey water from the washing machine! Very, very time consuming! Good luck with feeding your family! That is my primary goal with my garden too! :)

      Delete